Long Range Forecast: 'The Wolverine'
Featured Stories - on May 31, 2013 by BOXOFFICE Staff
Joining our Long Range Forecast this week is Fox's The Wolverine.
- Will likely have its opening weekend largely to itself, which is rare for the month of July.
- The X-Men brand could be back on the upswing thanks to the solid reception to 2011's X-Men: First Class and building anticipation for next year's X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- Will have the added advantage of being the first X-Men film in 3D.
- Wolverine remains the most noteworthy character of the X-Universe, especially among more casual X-Men fans.
- The second trailer generated plenty of enthusiasm on Facebook and Twitter.
- The largely negative reception to 2009's X-Men Origins: Wolverine could cancel out the positive reception to First Class and then some.
- As was the case with First Class, early marketing and the storyline of The Wolverine may not draw back in more casual fans of the earlier X-Men films.
- Despite his popularity within the X-Universe, the last time we checked Wolverine isn't part of The Avengers.
Notable changes on our forecast this week include The Purge (up), Monsters University (up) and This Is The End (down).
Check out our predictions for The Wolverine and other upcoming films in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|The Wolverine||Jul 26, 2013||Fox
|Red 2||Jul 19, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|The Conjuring||Jul 19, 2013||Warner Bros.
|R.I.P.D.||Jul 19, 2013||Universal
|Turbo||Jul 17, 2013||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|Grown Ups 2||Jul 12, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|Pacific Rim||Jul 12, 2013||Warner Bros.
|The Lone Ranger||Jul 3, 2013||Disney
|Despicable Me 2||Jul 3, 2013||Universal
|White House Down||Jun 28, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|The Heat||Jun 28, 2013||Fox
|Monsters University||Jun 21, 2013||Disney
|World War Z||Jun 21, 2013||Paramount
|Man of Steel||Jun 14, 2013||Warner Bros.
|This Is The End||Jun 12, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|The Purge||Jun 7, 2013||Universal
|The Internship||Jun 7, 2013||Fox
* = 3-day weekend (Fri-Sun)
** = 4-day weekend (Fri-Mon)
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.