Long Range Forecast: 'Thor: The Dark World' & 'About Time'
Featured Stories - on September 13, 2013 by BoxOffice Staff
Our early glimpse at the holiday box office season continues this week with our first forecast for the anticipated Marvel sequel, Thor: The Dark World, and director Richard Curtis' About Time.
Thor: The Dark World
- 2011's Thor impressed with its $181 million domestic haul.
- As another post-Avengers standalone sequel, this could experience a noticeable bump in audience from the first Thor.
- The sequel's trailers have frequently drawn positive remarks on Twitter.
- The popularity of Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston has only grown over the last two years.
- Since the first Thor already played in 3D, the large 31 percent bump in gross that Iron Man 3 enjoyed from its predecessor isn't as likely to occur here.
- This sequel will face direct competition from the hugely anticipated The Hunger Games: Catching Fire in its third weekend.
- Rumors around the sequel's production have been mixed, largely because of directorial rumors and last-minute reshoots.
- Director Richard Curtis has found consistent success through films like Love Actually, Notting Hill, and Four Weddings and a Funeral.
- A romantic comedy should serve as decent counter-programming to the weekend's more high profile new release, particularly with Rachel McAdams' past genre success.
- About Time is more likely to enjoy long legs than a sizable opening.
- British romantic comedies aren't easy sells--especially considering the more obscure sci-fi nature of this film.
- Outside of McAdams and Bill Nighy, the cast carries few recognizable names or faces to American crowds.
- Given the considerable female appeal of Thor's Hemsworth, date crowds may still avoid this one initially.
Notable changes on our forecast this week include Prisoners (up) and Battle of the Year (down)
Check out our forecast for these and other upcoming films in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Thor: The Dark World||Nov 8, 2013||Disney
|Last Vegas||Nov 1, 2013||CBS Films
|Ender's Game||Nov 1, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|Free Birds||Nov 1, 2013||Relativity Media
|About Time||Nov 1, 2013||Universal
|The Counselor||Oct 25, 2013||Fox
|Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa||Oct 25, 2013||Paramount
|Escape Plan||Oct 18, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|Carrie (2013)||Oct 18, 2013||Sony / Screen Gems
|Captain Phillips||Oct 11, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|Machete Kills||Oct 11, 2013||Open Road
|Runner Runner||Oct 4, 2013||Fox
|Gravity||Oct 4, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Don Jon||Sep 27, 2013||Relativity Media
|Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2||Sep 27, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|Baggage Claim||Sep 27, 2013||Fox Searchlight
|Battle of the Year||Sep 20, 2013||Sony / Screen Gems
|Prisoners||Sep 20, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Rush (2013)||Sep 20, 2013||Universal
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.