Weekend Forecast: '3 Days to Kill' & 'Pompeii'
Featured Stories - on February 19, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
Two new films open on what will likely be a slow weekend following last week's busy holiday-driven market. The LEGO Movie will handily retain first place for a third straight weekend.
3 Days to Kill
- Kevin Costner's renewed presence in movies lately could boost interest among older crowds.
- The soft word of mouth from Monuments Men may also lend some adult interest here.
- Costner hasn't been a draw in many years.
- With older crowds possibly waiting for Non-Stop next week, it's possible even they won't show up for this.
- Director Paul W.S. Anderson has found past success with genre movies like the Resident Evil franchise.
- The IMAX and 3D release should help pad grosses for the weekend.
- The lack of online buzz is reminiscent of I, Frankenstein and The Legend of Hercules.
- Fanboy interest should be soft with the likes of RoboCop and The LEGO Movie already in the market.
Check out our forecast for this weekend's top ?? in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, Feb. 23|
|The LEGO Movie||Feb 7, 2014||Warner Bros.
|RoboCop (2014)||Feb 12, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|About Last Night||Feb 14, 2014||Sony / Screen Gems
|The Monuments Men||Feb 7, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|Pompeii||Feb 21, 2014||Sony / TriStar
|3 Days to Kill||Feb 21, 2014||Relativity Media
|Frozen (2013)||Nov 22, 2013||Disney
|Ride Along||Jan 17, 2014||Universal
|Endless Love (2014)||Feb 14, 2014||Universal
|Winter's Tale||Feb 14, 2014||Warner Bros.
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.