Long Range Forecast: 'Exodus: Gods and Kings'
Featured Stories - on October 17, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
Another biblical tale gets the big-budget treatment with December's Exodus: Gods and Kings. Will religious crowds flock to it--and, more importantly, like what they see--or will it generate cold reactions like Noah? This week, BoxOffice takes a closer look at Exodus' financial prospects.
Exodus: Gods and Kings
- The Passion of the Christ proved that there's a MASSIVE audience for religious films that connect in the right way. Hollywood has yet to truly follow up on that promise. Exodus is certainly capable of finally delivering on that potential.
- Noah's failure means that religious crowds are still hungry for something that delivers in the way they hoped Noah would.
- Star Christian Bale is at the top of his game right now. Few actors working today generate as much mainstream admiration as he does.
- The marketing campaign is wisely going after non-religious moviegoers as well by playing up the visual effects and battle scenes.
- Religious moviegoers can be fickle. If they feel slighted, they can sink a film.
- Opening so close to the final Hobbit film will not be an easy task.
Check out our predictions for this film and others in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||First Weekend of Wide Release||Cumulative|
|Exodus: Gods and Kings||Dec 12, 2014|| Fox
|The Pyramid||Dec 5, 2014||Fox
|Top Five||Dec 5, 2014||Paramount
|Penguins of Madagascar||Nov 26, 2014*||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|Horrible Bosses 2||Nov 26, 2014*||Warner Bros. / New Line
|The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1||Nov 21, 2014||Lionsgate
|Dumb and Dumber To||Nov 14, 2014||Universal
|Beyond the Lights||Nov 14, 2014||Relativity Media
|Big Hero 6||Nov 7, 2014||Disney
|Interstellar||Nov 5, 2014||Paramount
|Nightcrawler||Oct 31, 2014||Open Road
|Saw (2014 re-issue)||Oct 31, 2014||Lionsgate
|John Wick||Oct 24, 2014||Lionsgate / Summit
|Ouija||Oct 24, 2014||Universal
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.