Weekend Forecast: 'Horrible Bosses 2' & 'Penguins of Madagascar'
Featured Stories - on November 25, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
Thanksgiving weekend sees the release of two franchise pictures for very different audiences.
Penguins of Madagascar
- The titular characters have proven to be one of the most popular components of the Madagascar franchise over the past decade.
- Opening over the holiday frame will take advantage of the large number of families heading out to theaters during this time of year
- The film's 3.3 million+ Facebook fans represent the film's strong brand awareness.
- Similar to what happened with the How to Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda sequels, it's possible that the Penguins have been overexposed outside of the main Madagascar films through the likes of their television show.
- The 2014 box office market has seen its share of low points, and without any sort of "event level" draw, families could end up deciding to skip this and/or check out Big Hero 6.
- Twitter and Flixster buzz are noticeably behind that of most animated releases this year.
Horrible Bosses 2
- The original film was a critical and commercial hit, drawing a strong $117.5 million domestically thanks to great word of mouth and long legs.
- The returning cast members should offer fans of the original some incentive to come back for seconds.
- Flixster and Twitter activity are comparable to that of Dumb and Dumber To pre-release.
- Reviews aren't kind for the sequel, which could turn away some fans off the bat.
- The film's 690,000+ Facebook fans is a low number for a sequel to such a well-liked film. By comparison, Neighbors posted over 726,000 through the same point.
- Comedies have been a dime a dozen this year with only a select few truly breaking out. As sequelitis sets in, Bosses 2 may be the next in line for audiences to skip in theaters.
Check out our complete weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, Nov. 30|
|The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1||Nov 21, 2014||Lionsgate
|Penguins of Madagascar||Nov 26, 2014||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|Horrible Bosses 2||Nov 26, 2014||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Big Hero 6||Nov 7, 2014||Disney
|Interstellar||Nov 5, 2014||Paramount
|Dumb and Dumber To||Nov 14, 2014||Universal
|The Theory of Everything||Nov 7, 2014||Focus
|Gone Girl||Oct 3, 2014||Fox
|St. Vincent||Oct 10, 2014||Weinstein Company
|Beyond the Lights||Nov 14, 2014||Relativity Media
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.