'Weekend Forecast: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' & 'Kingsman: The Secret Service'
Featured Stories - on February 11, 2015 by BoxOffice Staff
This four-day, double-holiday weekend sees the anticipated release of the Fifty Shades of Grey adaptation and Kingsman: The Secret Service.
Fifty Shades of Grey
- The book series has sold more than 100 million copies worldwide, in line with Twilight, Hunger Games, and Harry Potter levels.
- The film's trailer was the most viewed of 2014. Marketing has really nailed it.
- Social media buzz is outstanding, performing at levels similar to franchise blockbusters like The Hunger Games and Twilight -- and significantly ahead of Gone Girl.
- Advance sales have set a record pace on Fandango, becoming one of the company's top five pre-sellers in history.
- The obvious synergy created by opening a popular erotic thriller on Valentine's Day weekend.
- The controversial subject matter could be seen as taboo by many viewers, although early signs point to curiosity winning over a lot of moviegoers.
- Early reviews and word of mouth could have an effect before the end of the extended weekend.
- Online buzz could be inflated by the book's rabid fan base, which it partly shares with Twilight.
Kingsman: The Secret Service
- Matthew Vaughn has directed several well-received films, namely X-Men: First Class and Kick-Ass, among fanboy-type crowds.
- Reviews are very encouraging, and the film's early overseas release has spawned early positive word of mouth online.
- Twitter and Flixster activity are strong, noticeably ahead of similar titles.
- The ensemble cast including Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Caine, and Colin Firth should be attractive to more mainstream viewers.
- The R-rating could limit the film's target young male audience.
- The early overseas release could be inflating online metrics to some extent.
- Despite his success, Vaughn is certainly not a box office draw at this point yet in his career.
Check out our complete 4-day weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||4-Day Weekend||Domestic Total through Monday, Feb. 16|
|Fifty Shades of Grey||Feb 13, 2015||Universal / Focus
|The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water||Feb 6, 2015||Paramount
|Kingsman: The Secret Service||Feb 13, 2015||Fox
|American Sniper||Dec 25, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Jupiter Ascending||Feb 6, 2015||Warner Bros.
|Paddington||Jan 16, 2015||Weinstein / Dimension
|The Wedding Ringer||Jan 16, 2015||Sony / Screen Gems
|The Imitation Game||Nov 28, 2014||Weinstein Company
|Seventh Son||Feb 6, 2015||Universal
|Black or White||Jan 30, 2015||Relativity Media
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.