Weekend Forecast: 'Focus' & 'The Lazarus Effect'
Featured Stories - on February 25, 2015 by BoxOffice Staff
Two new wide releases hit this weekend to close out February.
- Will Smith is still one of the most bankable actors in the world when given the right film vehicle.
- WB's marketing campaign has ensured a high awareness for the con artist pic, which could be a strength as adults look for a new option.
- Twitter and Facebook activity have been encouragingly steady over the past two months.
- Smith's last film, After Earth, was a prolific box office and critical bomb.
- Con artist pics are often hit and miss at the box office.
- Overall, social media activity isn't remarkable, but that could just underscore its heavy appeal to adults.
The Lazarus Effect
- Horror fans haven't had much to choose from so far this year, outside of The Woman in Black 2.
- The pic's PG-13 rating could further help reach teen crowds.
- Horror flicks in general haven't had an easy go at the box office over the past year or so, with very few exceptions.
- Lazarus' social media activity leaves much to be desired.
Check out our complete weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Weekend||Domestic Total through March 1|
|Focus (2015)||Feb 27, 2015||Warner Bros.
|Kingsman: The Secret Service||Feb 13, 2015||Fox
|The Lazarus Effect||Feb 27, 2015||Relativity Media
|Fifty Shades of Grey||Feb 13, 2015||Universal / Focus
|The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water||Feb 6, 2015||Paramount
|American Sniper||Dec 25, 2014||Warner Bros.
|McFarland, USA||Feb 20, 2015||Disney
|The DUFF||Feb 20, 2015||CBS Films / Lionsgate
|Still Alice||Jan 16, 2015||Sony Pictures Classics
|Hot Tub Time Machine 2||Feb 20, 2015||Paramount
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.