Weekend Forecast: 'Minions', 'The Gallows', & 'Self/Less'
Featured Stories - on July 08, 2015 by BoxOffice Staff
Three new releases hit theaters this weekend, and one in particular looks to make a big splash in what's already been a historic summer.
- Spinning off the most popular characters (by far) from the Despicable Me films isn't just smart, it's timely with only two years having passed since their last appearance on-screen.
- The film's overseas launch has already done excellent business, something that should translate similarly to North America.
- Twitter, Facebook, and Flixster activity have all impressed.
- Reviews indicate this entry in the franchise won't be as well received as the Despicable flicks, but that probably won't affect the opening weekend in a major way considering the target audience.
- It's possible that social media activity (particularly Twitter) is inflated by the film's advance overseas release.
- Did Pixar's Inside Out steal some blockbuster thunder from this flick as the former continues to hold very well since its record opening?
- The sheer lack of horror hits in 2015 leaves the space wide open for something to connect with fans of the genre.
- Twitter activity is notably strong this week.
- The film's Facebook page has grown at a healthy rate in recent weeks, although overall fan totals are still very modest.
- Reviews don't suggest this will be the movie to breakout for the horror genre, especially since its audience pays very close attention to early reactions.
- Flixster buzz is very poor, posting the fewest votes of any major horror film in wide release this year.
- In a busy summer, it's likely this film is overlooked and/or skipped until the post-theatrical market.
- Adults looking for something other than a summer blockbuster might opt for this.
- This year's been kind to smaller profile films in the sci-fi genre finding an audience.
- Ryan Reynolds isn't known for his ability to draw at the box office.
- Social media activity leaves much to be desired across the board.
- Reviews aren't in the film's favor, making matters worse given its already-low profile.
Top 10 Forecast
BoxOffice forecasts this weekend's top ten films will accumulate approximately $196.6 million. That would represent a 47 percent improvement from the same frame last year, which rang up $133.8 million -- driven by the excellent $72.6 million debut of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
Check out our complete weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, July 12|
|Minions||Jul 10, 2015||Universal
|Jurassic World||Jun 12, 2015||Universal
|Inside Out (2015)||Jun 19, 2015||Disney
|Terminator Genisys||Jul 1, 2015||Paramount
|The Gallows||Jul 10, 2015||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Magic Mike XXL||Jul 1, 2015||Warner Bros.
|Ted 2||Jun 26, 2015||Universal
|Max (2015)||Jun 26, 2015||Warner Bros.
|Self/Less||Jul 10, 2015||Focus / Gramercy
|Spy (2015)||Jun 5, 2015||Fox
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.